donate

Friday 29 April 2016

Post Office

I followed the young couple down the street towards town. They were both wearing jogging suits that needed to be washed. She was pushing a pushchair that looked like a third generation hand-me-down.
The man kept sneezing. He wasn't covering his nose or mouth and as I drew closer I could feel the spray from it lightly hitting my face.
They entered the post office, the same place I was going.
She stood to one side and he joined the queue.
He continued to sneeze and as I stood there I noticed that he stank of dope. Clearly he'd had at least one massive joint for breakfast. Not exactly one of your five a day.
As he was being served I went to the window next to him. I sent the letters I needed to send and listened to him babbling incoherently.
I headed for the door and saw his girlfriend or wife staring vacantly out of the window.
At that point I noticed the pushchair. It didn't contain a baby, but a doll.
I hurried out of there, away from the madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment