donate

Sunday 15 April 2018

Copenhagen

I'd won! The prize promised everything wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen had to offer. The Little Mermaid, The Tivoli Gardens, more art than you could shake a stick at. I was going to experience all of it. A weekend break with everything paid for. It promised to be great.
But what did it deliver?
The plane landed at a tiny airport in the middle of nowhere. A sign told me the place was unpronouncable and a man who sounded like he had a potato lodged in his throat met me from the plane. He put my case in the boot of a beaten-up car which was neither antique nor classic and drove me to the hotel.
The hotel turned out to be a shed in the man's garden. I was to sleep on a camping bed next to his lawnmower.
I left my bag unpacked and went exploring. It turned out to be a beautiful village some 75 miles from the capital. There wasn't a shop there and transport links to the city were non-existent.
It was the longest 48 hours of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment