donate

Sunday 1 April 2018

If Only

I opened the oven. The pizza inside was still stone cold. If only I'd turned the oven on.
I put on my shoes and jacket and ventured out to that new takeaway that everyone was talking about. I ordered a pizza that would look nothing like the one in the photograph above the counter.
"That'll be £8, mate," said the teenager in the jaunty-angled baseball cap.
"£8 is quite expensive. It'd better be good!"
"If only you'd come yesterday when everything was half price."
I took out my wallet. It was empty. If only I'd remembered to stop at a cash machine on the way.
"If only we accepted card payments," laughed the teenager.
I left the takeaway and headed to the bank across the road. I was keying in my PIN when the explosion knocked me to the ground. I looked across the road and saw that the takeaway had been reduced to rubble.
If only they'd got that gas leak checked out.


No comments:

Post a Comment